Thursday, September 25, 2008

My New Toy



A few months ago, I picked up an old Nikon Coolpix 885 from the local Flea Market (actually a pawn shop) for $20. It only came with a dead battery and a user manual. I managed to obtain another battery and a charger, a USB cable and some CF cards for it. I originally bought it as a backup, and for Hayley to take on her trip to the RNC. I haven't played around with it much as of yet (the CF cards all hold a very small amount of photos -- most only 8mb), but am hopefully going to get more use out of it now.

I've been wanting to get some lenses and stuff for the Nikon, but couldn't afford the prices for even a used lens or anything. But a few days ago I found a TC-E2 Tele Converter lens (2x) with a UR-E4 step down adapter on eBay for $18 (including shipping). I don't normally get into the eBay bidding, because I always lost the bids at the very last second. Either that, or the bids go way above my price range. But I gave it one more shot for the lens and adapter....and I WON! Of course, I was the ONLY bidder, so that helped.

Just the adapter alone (which I'd need pretty much for any lens for the Nikon) was hard to find for less than $20. So this was a great bargain. It's nothing fancy, I guess. But at least now I can take even slighty different shots of the same ol' stuff, instead of photographing the same ol' stuff in the same ol' way. Can't wait to try it out.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm looking forward to seeing the results. I forgot you had been bidding on a lens. Glad you won it.

Anonymous said...

Well done, you. Now show us what it can do.