Monday, March 31, 2008

Starting our own tradition


Moody Monday: Traditional

As a child of a single mom, it's tough for Hayley to hear her friends talk about where they're going to spend their Spring Break. And, let's face it, it's tough for me to know how it makes her feel. But this week we're starting our own Spring Break tradition. It's not a trip to Florida (which, by the way, is not my favorite state...even though I have relatives living there), but at least it gives us both something to do.

So what ARE we doing? Well, we're taking photos, of course. But it's more than that, I guess. I'm letting her use my old Aiptek camera and my little monopod, while I use my Samsung and tripod. We're trying to get outside each day and take photos together. Unfortunately, though, the weather doesn't seem to want to cooperate. We are currently under a blizzard warning! (UGH!) It didn't start snowing until this afternoon, but Hayley had other commitments for the day -- like interviewing Representative Tom Casperson, and another "downstate" (Lower Michigan) legislator who is on the House Education Committee. (She's a busy kid...even during Spring Break!) So we didn't get out today, and tomorrow's not looking too promising either.

It has been kind of fun having something to share with her. And it's great to see how awesome she is behind the camera...and not just in front of it. She's truly a talented individual. I think the most fun part for me is to take pictures of her taking pictures.

No comments: